Most rehabilitation centers follow similar steps when a patient first enters a treatment program. What’s more, there can be in-patient treatment and out-patient treatment, which can include therapy and mental health assistance as well as physical health care.
The type of rehabilitation treatment you need will depend on your individual situation, and so you can choose a rehab facility based on your personal needs!
When you first enter any kidn of rehabilitation program, these are the basic first steps you will likely be taking:
- Intake: Every rehab facility has an intake procedure. Intake is the process of assessing a patient’s behavioral, social, and medical background to help a patient determine their best treatment options.
- Detoxification: One of the first phases of any rehab program is detoxification. Detoxification is the process of ridding a patient’s body of harmful substances, such as drugs or alcohol. Depending on the severity or length of a patient’s substance abuse, they may experience withdrawal. However, rehab centers provide medical oversight to prevent life-threatening complications and help patients achieve stability.
- Acceptance into an in-patient or out-patient program: Once ready, patients are accepted into either an in-patient or out-patient program so that they can get the treatment they need.
Both in-patient and out-patient rehabs generally include therapy, and many have both individual and group therapy. However, the types of therapy included in a rehab program can vary. Depending on the program you choose, you may find therapy options such as:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy: Cognitive-behavioral therapy focuses on changing how you think about alcohol or drugs, understanding your behavior triggers, and finding new ways to cope with stress.
- Multidimensional Family Therapy: Multidimensional family therapy helps recovering patients build support and improve family functioning. Family can play a key role in the success of rehab programs and, ultimately, recovery.
In addition to therapy, many rehab facilities offer other prominent treatments, including:
- Motivational Interviewing: Motivational interviewing is designed to help motivate patients suffering from drug abuse disorders to participate in treatment. Additionally, this form of treatment helps addicts overcome resistance they might have to change.
- Contingency Management: Contingency management is used to help patients create their treatment plans and offer an incentive for staying in recovery. Rehab programs that use contingency management may offer rewards and prizes for completing set goals.
- The Use of Medication: Certain medications, such as buprenorphine or methadone, can treat dependency and addiction to opioids, including oxycodone, morphine, and heroin. Studies have shown that the use of these medications reduces relapses in patients. However, these medications are not for everyone, as patients can become dependent on the medication.
Rehab centers typically provide strict schedules that offer patients with structure. Additionally, each facility determines what you can and cannot bring to rehab. For example, some rehabilitation centers do not allow phones or other electronic devices to be brought into the facility. Therefore, before visiting a rehab, it’s worth taking the time to call ahead and learn about the contraband that is not allowed at a center.